Registration with the Department of Education for South Africa Home Schooling
All South African Home Schooling families should be registered with the Department of Education. Contact us on 087 150 9461 to speak to a services representative and we can assist you with this.
The online application form can be found here:
Home Education is a programme alternative to attending public or independent schools where a parent of a learner of compulsory school going age may provide education for his/her own child/ren at home.
Do you prefer to teach your child at home? If so, apply to the head of your Provincial Education Department to register your child for Home Education. The lesson you offer your child must fall within the scope of the following compulsory phases of education.
After your child has been registered:
- record of attendance
- portfolio of the child’s work
- up- to- date records of the child’s progress
- portfolio of the educational support given to the child
- evidence of the continuous assessment of the child’s work
- evidence of the assessment and or examination at the end of each year
- evidence at the end of grade 3,6 and 9, that shows whether your child has achieved the outcomes for these grades
To Apply to the head of your Provincial Education Department you need to take the following documents with you:
- your (parent/s) Identity Document and a certified copy of the ID
- last copy of school report (if the child was in school before, but if the child is only starting school now you must bring an immunisation card)
- weekly timetable which includes contact time per day
- breakdown of terms per year (196 days per year)
- learning programme
- certified copy of child’s birth certificate
It may take up to 30 days for your applications to be processed.
How much does it cost?
The service is free.
Forms to complete
The application forms can be obtained from any Provincial Education Department.